Thursday, August 19, 2010

I've been working for the Speier family for twenty-one years as their housekeeper. My mother was a housekeeper. Her mother was a housekeeper. And her mother was a housekeeper too. So it made sense for me to go into the "family profession." I've raised eight children, one of my own, two of my sisters', and and five Speiers. Abigail, Rose, Reginald, Sebastian, and Pearl. Well, Pearl's Christian name was Peter, but everyone called him Pearl. It was because of that head of his. When Pearl was born, he didn't have a single hair on his head, didn't have any until his third birthday. When Reginald saw him for the first time, took one look at him and said, "That baby's head is glowing like a pearl! I'm not touching him." Well, that boy changed his tune quite a bit as he got older. See Reginald and Pearl get along swell together. It's Sebastian that always has the problems. He's got issues dealing with Mr. Speier. But that's not my business. I'm in charge of the children and the housework. The children had tutors for a time, but Rose tended to scare them off with all her shenanigans. That girl couldn't walk the straight and narrow if her life depended on it. She's nothing like Abigail. If Rose was a wildfire, Abigail would be the water that cools it down. Even as a baby, she was calm, never fussed. But that was twenty years ago. Now she's got a baby of her own, Lucy, and Lucy just like her. I suppose it must be some family thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment